Thursday, July 10, 2014

The "Hook Up" Blessing

I’ve been an experienced “saint” for pretty much the majority of my life.  During my tenure in the world I still had hands on access to those in the “church” as we like to call it.  Thankfully, I returned to my salvation and received the open arms of Christ.

That being said, I’ve developed an annoyance with the fence riders of the “Kingdom of God” as many, including myself identify with.  I’m not talking about the lukewarm, I’m talking about the double standard Christians who are blessed, highly favored of the Lord and walking in the increase of God.  Yet these same individuals will try to barter and scam you into depleting your gifts, talents, love and knowledge for the betterment of them.  They will do so because of your heart of servitude and your desire to advance the kingdom by helping others who profess the same notion.

These are the individuals in God’s kingdom that get on my nerves.  They are the ones who used to be leeches and parasites in the world (unsaved or carnal state) who have transferred that same mentality and behavior into a world where God supplies all of our needs according to HIS riches.  I believe they may have missed that part.

There are artists, event planners, authors, speakers, preachers, dancers, etc.  You pretty much know what spectrum these people fall in (creative or entrepreneurial).  They will hunt through the congregation of believers and tag into a gift or talent that you have.  Usually it starts with an informal introduction; some head nods from a distance and will lead to a mediocre conversation where they realize you have something that they need to propel them further.  They will try to reach a common ground with you and proposition you with an idea that you’ve probably already visited just to gain favor with you.

What irks me about these individuals is that they feel since you either belong to the same congregation or share the same belief in Christ that your talent or gift, which may in fact be a means of income for you, is not as valuable as their need for 100 percent of your time and ability.  I’ve heard many a time, “consider it sowing a seed”.  Really?!  Tell the electric company to consider the lights you utilize a seed sown.  What if your boss said your labor for ten hours was a seed sown?

My comeback is always, I sow in fertile ground.  If you can’t pay me full price, don’t patronize me.  You can’t carry the “homie hook up” mentality in the Kingdom of God. You can’t say the Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want when it applies to your desire to get 100 percent from God and not divvy the same respect to others you employ or collaborate with in the kingdom.  I too am believing God to supply all of my needs and the gifts that he’s given me is a means for me to do so. 

So say you as an artist need beats (instrumentals) for a project.  You have a producer invest or sow into you.  When you make it, do you forget him?  Do you make your money off of your shows and muzzle the ox that plowed your field?  Do you hop over to the next producer and give him the same gimmick as you pocket the proceeds?  How far do you think you can go before humility comes knocking? 

As a person who has been in this situation and has witnessed others in the same position I take a stand to say that my gifts and talents were given to me in full by God and I will not discount them for anyone, not anymore.  I like the saying “The giver has to set limits because the taker won’t”.  People will use you and suck you dry and the only one you will have to blame is yourself. 

Even in doing business with “church” people, consider them like family.  We all know to never mix family and business so keep the same attitude and slide a contract across the table. 

Prior to any productions beginning let them know that this sown seed is seeking a harvest in three months and you expect a portion of their profit, whether they are successful or not.  Before designing a CD or book cover get 70% of your payment prior to beginning the work (because your time is valuable) and give them the watermarked image for approval and collect your remaining balance before delivering the final product.  This way you avoid getting stuck with a promise while your bills pile up.  In doing so, you save feelings, you keep relationships and you protect yourself from being drained and taken advantage of.



No comments:

Post a Comment